The Academies Act 2010 provides a simplified and streamlined process for schools who wish to become Academies.
Any school considering conversion will need assistance and guidance at an early stage on issues such as the conversion process, timescales and the legal steps required for conversion.
At CWJ we have a team of experts who, for a fixed fee, can provide specialist advice and guidance in those areas affected by the conversion process including;
- The setting up of the Academy Trust (a charitable company limited by guarantee)
- Transfer agreement with the local authority or governing body (including dealing with the special units)
- Land and property issues
- Employee issues including transfer of employees under the Transfer of Undertakings Regulations (TUPE)
- Commercial contracts with suppliers and other third parties including any assignments or new contracts required
- New agreements to deal with any PFI contract currently in place
- Freedom of information including how to retain, manage and share data under the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act
- Guidance on corporate governance issues - general compliance and record keeping
Following conversion, CWJ will be able to provide ongoing support to the Academy Trust. The Academy Trust will need to have access to ongoing legal support on a range of issues including;
- Corporate governance
- Employment issues
- Data Protection
- Property issues
For an annual fee, CWJ is able to provide a cost effective solution covering routine legal advice on all of these issues.
For more information on how we can help with the Academies conversion process or with assistance on any other legal issues please contact Ben Madden on 01689 887845 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda Custis on 01689 887852 or by email email@example.com.