Tel: 01689 887887
How can we help you?
Disagreements can arise in a number of ways and can be very stressful for the individuals concerned. When there is a dispute, you need advice that you can trust and a lawyer you can work with to resolve it.
Our specialist dispute resolution solicitors can provide you with sound advice, quality service, and a speed of response you would normally expect from a City-based firm, yet with the advantage of dealing with personable lawyers at a convenient location in Orpington, close to the M25.
Whether you are owed a debt, you and a neighbour are embroiled in a boundary dispute, or you want to claim defamation, we can provide practical advice on your options and rigorous representation throughout the process, giving you the best possible chance of achieving a positive outcome.
We embrace the benefits of skilful negotiation over leaping straight into court litigation, which can be time-consuming, expensive, and stressful. We can advise you about methods of Alternative Dispute Resolution, such as mediation, which could help you settle the matter out of court wherever possible.
Where litigation is unavoidable, we can guide you through each stage of the civil justice process, providing clear, understandable advice over misleading legal jargon. We also have good relations with a number of specialist barristers’ chambers to provide you with robust representation in court.
Members of the dispute resolution team are recognised in their field in the leading global law directory, Chambers and Partners.and we are members of the Association of Partnership Practitioners.
Our dispute resolution solicitors’ expertise
The types of dispute resolution work we do include:
- Boundaries, right of way and neighbour disputes
- Construction and building disputes
- Property disputes
- Professional negligence claims (against lawyers, accountants, architects, surveyors and other professionals)
- Financial services and pensions
- Contractual/ Consumer Disputes
- Employment disputes (including post-employment restrictions)
- Insurance claims
- Defamation (Libel and Slander)
- Civil fraud claims
Living in close proximity with other home owners always has the potential to throw up disputes which can sometimes drag on for years.
Our goal is to help you resolve your issue as efficiently and amicably as possible, utilising Alternative Dispute Resolution wherever possible. Our areas of expertise include:
- Boundary issues
- Adverse possession
- Privacy issues
- Anti-social behaviour or nuisance
- Rights of way and easements
- Right to light
Whether a contractor has done substandard work, you are a builder who hasn’t been paid as agreed, or you’ve been injured as a result of negligent construction, we can provide clear advice on this confusing area of law. We cover all construction and building disputes, including:
- Engineering or construction negligence
- Building contract disputes
- Negligent work by contractors
- Poor or defective materials used in construction
- Building and construction payment disputes
In many situations we are able to use our proficient negotiation skills to resolve our clients’ matters amicably and positively in their favour using methods of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Our knowledge of the law of property disputes is wide-ranging, covering every issue associated with owning, renting, or letting property, including:
- Neighbour disputes
- Landlord and tenant disputes, including recovery of rent arrears, possession proceedings, evictions, and deposit disputes
- Parking disputes
- Agricultural and farming disputes
- Land Registry issues, such as rectification of title applications
- Noise disputes
- Planning permission disputes
- Disputes over interests in property
- Mortgage disputes
When you instruct a professional to provide you with advice, there are certain standards of service you expect, including the expectation that you will not end up worse off as a result of mistakes or errors.
If you’ve received negligent advice from a professional such as a solicitor, accountant, financial advisor, mortgage advisor, architect, or tax consultant, then we help you claim compensation for any loss.
If you are in debt and cannot repay, or you are owed money by someone who cannot pay, we have extensive experience starting or defending bankruptcy claims and with other debt resolution matters. Our expertise includes:
- Negotiating payment plans and settlements
- Advising on Individual Voluntary Arrangements
- Declaring bankruptcy
- Issuing Statutory Demands
- Instigating bankruptcy proceedings
- Proving in your debt in bankruptcy proceedings started by another creditor
- Defending bankruptcy proceedings
Financial services and pensions
Our robust dispute resolution lawyers have in-depth experience covering everything from PPI claims to pensions disputes to disagreements involving trustees.
Financial services and pensions are broad and confusing areas of law and we understand that disputes with financial institutions can be daunting. We aim to make your experience with us as simple and straightforward as possible, using our expert negotiation skills to try and settle your dispute as speedily and cost-effectively as possible. Our financial services and pensions expertise includes:
- Banking law disputes
- Financial mis-selling claims
- Trustee disputes
- Contractual disputes
- Regulatory disputes, including Financial Ombudsman Service, Pensions Ombudsman, and Financial Conduct Authority involvement
Many of our relationships with other people and services are defined by contracts. Whether you are purchasing goods at a shop or online, using an online app, or instructing a builder to carry out work on your home, there is likely to be a contract underpinning your relationship or agreement.
Consumer disputes often arise where one party fails to fulfil their obligations under the contract (called breach of contract) which subsequently causes the other party loss. Our consumer disputes experience includes compensation claims for:
- Repair or replacement of goods
- Full or partial refund for goods or services
- Faulty electrical items
- Faulty vehicles
- Poor quality workmanship, including builder, electricians, and plumbers
- Warranty and indemnity claims
- Insurance claims and disputes
- Unfair contract terms
- Breach of credit hire agreements
- Personal guarantees
We advise employees on their legal rights and entitlements in relation to disputes with their employers. Our expertise includes:
- Advice in relation to contracts of employment and directors’ service agreements
- Unfair dismissal
- Constructive dismissal
- Settlement agreements, Severance Packages, and ACAS COT3 settlements including negotiation and advice on the terms and their effect
- Disciplinary and grievance hearings and appeals
- Employment Tribunal Claims
We can assist with a wide-range of insurance claims and disputes involving both insurers and brokers, from personal injury claims to property damage.
Insurance law is extremely complex, so it’s absolutely essential that you consult a skilled solicitor who specialises in this area. We have a high level of technical knowledge and expertise across all areas of insurance law, including:
- Catastrophic injury
- Health & Safety
- Product liability
With the rise of social media, more people than ever are being affected by libellous posts, blogs, articles, or videos which have the potential to ruin their reputation, relationships, and potentially even their livelihood if their employer believes the statements.
We understand how frustrating it can be to have someone make false statements about you (whether verbal or written). Our specialist dispute resolution solicitors can help bring a defamation claim on your behalf to protect your rights and minimise any damage to your public image and personal life.
Civil fraud affects thousands of people every year, often causing significant financial losses to both individuals and businesses. We act for both claimants and defendants in civil fraud claims and our experience includes:
- Worldwide freezing injunctions
- Search orders
- Tracing and recovering misappropriated assets
- Internal investigations for businesses
- Mortgage fraud
- Breach of trust
Why choose Clarkson Wright & Jakes’ dispute resolution lawyers?
At Clarkson Wright & Jakes, we provide bespoke legal services to individuals and businesses from our convenient and accessible offices in Orpington, London Borough of Bromley, Kent.
We are a modern law firm with a progressive approach to resolving our clients’ legal issues. Our approach is always to personalise our advice according to your needs and the individual circumstances of your case.
Each and every member of our team is an expert in their areas, and absolutely dedicated to providing clear, logical advice and practical options so you can make informed decisions about the best way to progress your case.
We are proud to have won the LawNet Excellence in Client Care award for 2017/18.
Clarkson Wright & Jakes is independently regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
How much does dispute resolution cost?
We understand clients’ concerns about the cost of litigation and we can advise on conditional fee agreements or CFA’s (known as ‘no win, no fee’ agreements) and on taking out legal expenses insurance to protect you against the risk of paying another party’s costs.
For further information on funding arrangements please visit our fees page.