for you

For You

How can we help you?

Please enter your name
Please enter your email address
Please enter your telephone number
Please enter your message
Please enter the verification code

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy

Child and spousal maintenance or civil partnership maintenance

If your spouse/civil partner was the main earner in the marriage or earned more than you and supported you financially then you may be able to apply for maintenance payments from them (‘spousal maintenance’ or ‘periodical payments’).

The amount that you could receive will depend on your circumstances, in particular your income and outgoings and your spouse’s/civil partner’s income and outgoings.

Child maintenance is different to spousal maintenance or periodical payments and is paid separately. A parent who does not live with their child (‘non-resident parent’) is under a duty to pay child maintenance to the child’s primary carer for the child’s living costs. The amount of child maintenance can be agreed between the parties, agreed in a court order or either parent can apply to the Child Maintenance Service (‘CMS’) who will then make a calculation based on the net income of the non-resident parent and whether the children stay with them overnight.

Sometimes the parties will agree additional payments for the benefit of a child, such as payments for the child’s private school fees or nursery fees.

We can help you by:

  • Helping you obtain financial information from your spouse/civil partner
  • Advising you on a fair amount for maintenance
  • Making your application to court or defending an application if the amount of spousal maintenance or periodical payments cannot be agreed
  • Advising you on applications to vary the amount of maintenance
  • Advising you of the likely legal costs involved

If you require further advice or would like to discuss arranging an initial meeting with a member of our family team, please contact us on 01689 887885 or fill in our quick Family Enquiry Form.

  • Kevin Bristow
      • 01689 887816
      • 07789 676059
      • View profile
  • Claire Schneck
      • 01689 887828
      • 07799 115042
      • View profile
  • Joanne McDonald
      • 01689 887829
      • View profile
  • Jennifer Draper
      • View profile
  • Mary I'Anson
      • 01689 884506
      • View profile