for you

For You

How can we help you?

Please enter your name
Please enter your email address
Please enter your telephone number
Please enter your message
Please enter the verification code

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy

Estate Administration and Probate

When your loved one dies, you will need to put their financial affairs in order. If all the assets are held in joint names, these will normally pass automatically to the surviving owner. However, if any assets are held in the sole name of the deceased, a Grant of Representation must be obtained.

  • Grace Clarke
      • 01689 887807
      • 01689 887888
      • View profile
  • Amanda Custis
      • 01689 887852
      • View profile
  • Jeremy Wilson
      • 01689 887847
      • 07786 398236
      • View profile
  • Victoria Turner
      • 01689 887871
      • 01689 887888
      • View profile
  • Scott Walker
      • 01689 887858
      • View profile
  • Abigail Doust
      • 01689 887874
      • View profile

In these circumstances, the Personal Representatives will need to obtain a valuation of the assets, which unfortunately can be a long and drawn out affair. Once the value of the estate has been established, Inheritance Tax at 40% on all assets over the deceased's Nil Rate Band allowance will have to be paid before a Grant of Representation can be applied for.

A personal application involves going to the local Probate Registry and making an application for a Grant but the procedure is much more straightforward if a solicitor is acting for you as personal attendance is not necessary.

When the Grant has been obtained the assets can be realised and distributed under the terms of the Will or if no Will was left under the Intestacy Rules.

The Personal Representatives will also be responsible for finalising any Income Tax and paying any debts. They must be sure that these matters have been properly dealt with  as they will be liable for any unpaid debts if the estate is paid out to the beneficiaries too early.

Many people successfully finalise the deceased's affairs without the benefit of a solicitor. However, when the sole assets pass to the surviving spouse or civil partner, Inheritance Tax may become payable on the second death; we have the expertise to advise on reducing this liability, provided arrangements are put in place within two years' of the first death.

What to do when someone dies

Understanding the probate process

We offer a free half hour consultation where we can discuss your requirements.  We work on a fixed fee basis so you know exactly how much you will be paying.  We can also store your Will for you at no additional charge.