Clarkson Wright and Jakes Ltd Banner Image

For You

Personal Injury Claims Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to make a personal injury claim?

If the following statements apply, you may be entitled to bring a claim:

  • I was involved in a road traffic accident / had an accident at work / tripped or slipped in a public place
  • I sustained an injury as a result of the accident
  • The accident was not my fault
  • The accident took place in the last three years

For advice on your individual case, please complete our Online Enquiry Form.

If I have an injury claim, how is it pursued?

Once the other side has been notified of the claim, they have 3 months in which to investigate liability. We will obtain your medical records and arrange an examination with a medical expert, in order that he may prepare a condition and prognosis report. If no further treatment or investigations are required, we will invite the other side to submit offers in settlement of your claim.

How long will the injury claim take?

A straightforward injury claim may settle within 6 months. However, a number of factors may delay settlement. For example:

  • The other side disputing that they are responsible
  • Substantial injury requiring treatment and re-examinations
  • Other side failing to put forward a reasonable offer

In such cases, it may take up to a year or two to settle the claim.

How much compensation will I receive?

This will depend on the extent of your injury and the duration of symptoms. In addition to compensation for your injury, you are entitled to claim reimbursement of out of pocket expenses. These include loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel expenses, policy excess etc.

How will I fund the injury claim?

You may have the benefit of legal expenses insurance under a home insurance or motor policy. If so and your injury claim is not successful, the legal expenses will protect you from any costs payable, for example experts' fees or defendant's legal costs. Alternatively, the injury claim can be funded through a Conditional Fee Agreement, more commonly known as a "no win no fee" agreement together with an after-the-event insurance policy. Additional information about Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs/No Win No Fee) can be found here.  An expert personal injury solicitor will deal with your claim.

Speak to our personal injury solicitors in Orpington today

If you have suffered an injury in the last three years, please get in touch to discuss how we can help you claim compensation.

To find out more about starting a claim, please contact our Orpington office or you can request a call back.